Chaffey Secondary College is one of only 12 Musical Futures schools in Australia.
The Musical Futures approach is one of whole class music-making that is practical, relevant and engaging to the student. The program focuses on students acquiring foundational skills in music including playing instruments (including voice), musicianship and aural and visual musical literacies. The approach extends to include song writing and improvisation.
Chaffey Secondary College has become a champion school for Musical Futures Australia and is actively promoting this innovative approach to delivering music education in the region. The program brings real-world music learning processes into schools, engaging and inspiring all and promoting inclusion and diversity.
Music at Chaffey takes a practical, hands-on approach which aims to develop real musical skills so students can actively participate in music for the remainder of their time at the College and beyond. Performance based classes give students the experience of playing instruments they are interested in whilst learning the songs and styles they are passionate about.
Music students have many opportunities to participate in one of the College ensembles such as the choir, percussion ensemble, stage band and various rock/pop groups made up of students across all year levels. The annual Production, Chaffey’s Pride, and the Sunraysia district showcase event The Beat give music students lots of opportunities to perform on stage throughout the year.
Music technology increasingly plays a significant part in our music program where students can explore remixing, recording and song writing using digital audio software.
The aim of the music program at Chaffey SC is to provide an inclusive and fun environment where students can take ownership of their learning and direct their own creativity in becoming life long participators in music.
Musical Futures is a tried-and-tested yet innovative approach to music learning, which is driven by the musical culture of the students. It brings real-world music learning processes into schools, engaging and inspiring all and promoting inclusion and diversity.
Musical Futures is shaped around these core values:
• Inclusive – everyone takes part at their own level
• Absorbing – learning is practical and hands-on
• Relevant – starts with music that learners engage and identify with
• Sociable – it is collaborative and with friends
• Informal – led by learners with teachers/leaders modelling, guiding, supporting
• Varied – learners perform, listen, compose, improvise, work on a range of instruments and voices, use technology, explore a range of genres and styles
• Progressive – music learning experiences are high quality, authentic where possible, and with clear progression routes
• Respectful – all learners, no matter what their ability or experience, are treated as musicians, and are supported to learn and develop
Chaffey Secondary College has become a champion school for Musical Futures Australia and is actively promoting this innovative approach to delivering music education in the region